Sunday, February 14, 2010

This week I found out that I was accepted to play at the Intercollegiate Honor Band on percussion. I was incredibly excited when I found out. Percussion is where I got my start in music, and while it wasn't what I wanted to play at first, I grew to like it a lot. This led me to practicing, and it looks like now all that practicing has payed off. Now, this being a blog for a low brass studio, most of you are probably wondering why on earth I am taking low brass lessons when I'm a percussion player in band. This concept gets even more perplexing when you find out that my primary instrument as a music major is voice, not percussion. I am a big believer in diversity in everything you do. My grandpa was a jack of all trades kind of guy, he worked as a grocery store owner, theater owner, electric lineman, plumber, and nuclear silo builder. Quite a vast covering of jobs. He also ran for senate I believe. And its that way of living that I have kind of taken as my own. That's why I'm working on getting a K-12 Field Endorsement for music, so that I can teach anything music related at any level. But its more than just music. I also have a great desire for farming, ranching, and gardening practices. My family has always had some kind of something growing, whether it was a large orchard, a garden, or bucket calves for 4H. We were always doing something in that line of work. Granted my dad is a parts manager for the local John Deere in Neligh and grew up on a farm, but its also very interesting to me. I've done a couple experiments with hydroponics (and no not the plants you guys are thinking, we used tomatoes). I am also a big fan of permaculture, and for those of you that don't know what that is, I will attach a video at the end that I found. Needless to say, I love music, but there are also lots of other things that interest me. So if there is some other field of study that you think you might enjoy, even if you don't want to get a degree in it, maybe take a class or get some books on the subject. You'll be surprised at what you can learn and apply to every other area of your life.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I'm a K-12 Music Education major, with my primary being voice and secondary being percussion.